Standard 7

Standard 7:
Professional Responsibility and Growth Teachers assume responsibility for professional growth, performance and involvement as individuals and as members of a learning community.

7.1 Teachers understand, uphold and follow professional ethics, policies and legal codes of professional conduct.

I have a history of following professional ethics, policies, and legal codes of professional conduct. In all my years at JMHS, I have never received a poor review or have been in any trouble. The best way I show that I help colleagues uphold the highest standards of professional conduct is how I work with preservice teachers. I have had 2 student teachers in the past 3 years whom I have worked with as role models. I have helped them to understand proper behavior and conduct of a teacher. I think this is important because it shapes the future of teachers and helps teachers entering the profession to know what is appropriate and acceptable.

7.2 Teachers take responsibility for engaging in continuous, purposeful professional development.

I am currently seeking my Master’s degree from West Liberty University in Special Education. After I earn that advanced degree, I plan to seek National Board Certification as well as my Doctorate Degree.

7.3 Teachers are agents of change who seek opportunities to positively impact teaching quality, school improvements and student achievement.

My favorite professional development comes from Twitter! I love using educational chats to help me advance myself as a teacher. Twitter allows me to connect with the best teachers all over the world from the comfort of my home. I may not always speak up in a chat, but I typically follow along and use the ideas shared as resources to help me grow.

I am also scheduled to lead  professional development sessions at JMHS before the end of the school year. I was approached by my administrators to train staff on the use of Edmodo and Twitter.