Standard 1

Standard 1:
Students
Teachers understand student learning and development and respect the diversity of the students they teach.

Precent Needy Statistics For West Virginia

I have worked with students from very different backgrounds throughout my career. In my first job, I worked with teens who were incarcerated for drug and alcohol abuse or violent crimes. These students were the most diverse group of kids you could imagine. They were so far out of my comfort zone, but I learned to respect our differences. Now, as a teacher in rural West Virginia, there racial diversity isn’t something I see on a regular basis. I do, however, deal with diversity between socioeconomic classes within my classes. Marshall County Schools identifies 55 percent of students as qualified for free and reduced lunch. John Marshall classifies 46 percent of students as needy of free and reduced lunch. I have very privileged students and very underprivileged students within the same classes. It is my responsibility to boost the confidence of the low socioeconomic students for success in the classroom and teach empathy to the non needing students in my classes. Without teaching my students how to operate cohesively, the learning environment is not safe or productive.

1.1 Teachers display knowledge of how students learn and of the developmental characteristics of age groups.

Multiple Intelligences Test

One of the first activities I do with my students is ask them to take this Multiple Intelligences Test. After they have taken the test, I ask students to stand up and introduce themselves to me. I ask them to tell me what their test revealed about their learning style and if they agree or disagree with their results. I then encourage them to tell me how I can best help them be successful in English class this year. Students also work collaboratively to make lists of “Good Teacher Characteristics” and  “Good Student Characteristics.” This helps me identify the learning styles of my students. To gauge their ability levels and developmental characteristics, I often have students begin the year with a “Lettter to Mrs. McNally” where they explain their own strengths and weakness, set a goal grade for the semester, identify obstacles they may have to overcome to achieve their grade, and tell me a little more about their life than what they told me in front of the class. I encourage students to show off and try to impress me with their best work. This is a great chance for me to see where each student has strengths and weaknesses with their writing and basic computer skills.

1.2 Teachers understand what students know and are able to do and use this knowledge to meet the needs of all students.

10th Grade Growth Assessment

I created the 10th Grade Growth Assessment using the Study Island website. I based the assessment from common core standards. The assessment is 30 questions long and covers each standard that students should learn from grades nine through ten. Students completed the assessment in the first week of school and then at the end of the semester. 100 percent of students showed growth from the start of the semester to the end of the semester. I will test my students using this assessment again at the midway point of second semester and at the end of the year. I expect students to all be at mastery by the end of the year and to show growth on each assessment. Through the semester I teach the standards covered in the assessment in various different ways which appeal to all student needs. You can see examples of this as you peruse my portfolio.

1.3 Teachers expect that all students will achieve to their full potential.

CEE Grading Rubric
CEE Checklist

I believe that student growth is the most important means of student assessment. Because of this, I allow students to revise work they are unhappy with. This grading rubric and checklist are two of the tools I use to help students self assess before turning in their work. I also use the CEE rubric to grade their text dependent questions. I keep my expectations of student rigorous at all times, but I allow students to continue working toward their potential as the semester goes on. Students can revise work that they may have not mastered for the practice to learn the skills. Every student has the potential to master the content in class, so I encourage them to continue to work toward mastery as the semester goes on.

1.4 Teachers model respect for students’ diverse cultures, language skills and experiences.

American Literature Syllabus Fall 2013

I am passionate about creating a safe and comfortable learning environment for all of my students. From the start of the year I model behavior which is accepting and compassionate toward all people. I am very strict about using derogatory terms to refer to other people and I do not accept the sharing of hateful and hurtful ideas. I have provided my syllabus for Fall of 2013 as an example of how I discuss respect for differences with my students at the start of the year. My behavior within the room then carries this respect through the year.

1.5 Teachers recognize characteristics of gifted students, students with disabilities and at-risk students in order to assist in appropriate identification, instruction and intervention.

I am in constant communication with administration and special programs teachers about students with diverse needs. I use Edmodo with my classes and I welcome all special education teachers to my classes as co-teachers to monitor their students’ progress. I use email to communicate about student progress mostly. I work with administrators to help appropriately place students into leveled classes and electives through meetings and email. I have suggested students for our SAT team and to be assessed learning problems. The artifact provided is a school based referral form for our SAT program. This artifact shows my understanding that this is a student at-risk for dropping out of school or failing. He could benefit from the SAT program because an extra level of support and accountability might encourage him to work.